Homestead boys fall in Chekouras finale

Rugged December schedule ends with 9-5 record

Jan. 2, 2013

Mequon - Somewhere, the late Homestead Hall of Fame basketball coach John Chekouras is showing pride, if not exactly smiling.

The pride would have come from the grit, effort and sweat the Highlanders showed Friday night in falling to unbeaten and fifth-ranked Milwaukee Hamilton, 46-39, in the final of Homestead's tournament that is named for Chekouras.

After the game, his widow and his daughter presented the championship plaque to Hamilton coach Tom Diener.

And then maybe Chekouras would have forced a small smile at what his old rival Diener said in honor of him.

"He was one of the finest teachers and coaches that I've ever met in my life," Diener said. "... This is a great event to honor an outstanding coach and an even better person."

Back when he was in his state championship heyday about 15 years ago at Milwaukee Vincent, Diener's squads frequently stymied Chekouras' Highlanders in WIAA tourney play.

Just as a Diener-led Hamilton squad stymied a Kevin McKenna-led Homestead team Friday in a game that finally finished the Highlanders' grueling grind that was the first month of the season with a 9-5 record. The Highlanders had advanced to the final with a 58-56 overtime victory over Neenah the night before.

Team improving

McKenna, too, showed pride in the effort against Hamilton.

"We do have to take pride," he said. "This would have been a huge win had we been able to pull it off, but we have to look at the positive. We look at the Milwaukee Vincent and Milwaukee Hamilton games we played this month. We got blown out by Vincent (some weeks ago), but here we take a state-ranked team to the limit."

"I don't think we could have done this a couple of weeks ago, but we're starting to play great defense and the kids are starting to buy into what we're telling them."

The Highlanders kept up with the 11-0 Wildcats by playing tough, in-your-face defense and by contesting every loose ball and rebound.

Thanks to 11 points and nine rebounds in the first 16 minutes by 6-8 BYU-bound forward Luke Worthington, the Highlanders held a 22-21 lead. Worthington's putback with 17 seconds left in the session gave Homestead that advantage.

McKenna noted that Worthington's numbers have not been spectacular so far this month, but that is due to mitigating circumstances.

"Luke has been playing hard all along, it's just that he has been battling foul trouble so much," McKenna said. "Tonight, the kids were allowed to play a bit and Luke is doing a better job of not fouling people."

Worthington would finish with a team-high 18 points.

Showing more discipline on offense, the Wildcats battled back in the third quarter, taking better shots and earning a 31-30 lead by the end of the stanza.

"In the first half I think we took about six or seven ill-advised shots," Diener said. "In the second, I can only think of about one. When you do that, it's going to make a big difference and I think our shooting percentage reflected that."

Indeed, patiently looking for the good shot, Hamilton hit nine-of-17 shots in the second half, including six of eight in the fourth quarter.

Hamilton run too much

In the fourth quarter, Homestead took its last lead of the night when gritty guard Jerrod Walton hit a high floating bank shot over the Wildcats' nationally regarded 6-8 forward Kevon Looney (15 points and numerous blocks).

That shot made the score 33-31 with 6:25 to go in the game.

But then Hamilton went on a 7-0 run and it coincided with Walton having to come out for a time with a split lip and loose tooth. That burst put Wildcats up 38-33 with 3:39 left and Homestead had to battle uphill the rest of the way.

The Highlanders got to within three on a tough shot by Worthington, but then the Wildcats got hoops from forward David Burrell (game-high 20 points) and guard Danya Kingsby to make it 42-35 with 1:57 on the clock.

Despite having the Wildcats go just two for nine from the foul line in the fourth period, Homestead could not get within five after that point as the Highlanders went cold in the final stanza, hitting just two-of-14 shots.

Walton supported Worthington with nine points.

"We had some good looks, (especially from 3-point range)," McKenna said. "Especially Jake (Laihinen) but he was coming off the flu and he just couldn't them to go. But he was a warrior out there tonight."

As was the entire team, McKenna said.

"We've been doing a very good job of team play and body help lately," McKenna said. "It's been a big emphasis of ours the last two-three weeks. Lots of guys are stepping up."

And that's a trend that definitely would have made John Chekouras smile.

Homestead 58, Neenah 56 (OT): The Rockets rallied from a six-point deficit in the fourth quarter to force overtime, but the Highlanders eventually won by outscoring Neenah, 6-4, in the extra session.

Worthington had 14 points while Laihinen contributed 12, Walton 11 and Joseph Binyoti nine.

Homestead has a critical North Shore game Friday at Whitefish Bay. The two teams are tied for second in the North Shore at 5-1 each behind unbeaten and top-ranked Germantown.




Latest Photo Galleries