Thiensville's proposed beer garden folds for a second straight year
No suds this year as only proposal withdrawn
Thiensville — The reality of a beer garden on the bank of the Milwaukee River in Village Park sank as the sole proposal to run the venue was withdrawn.
Village President Van Mobley officially announced that Laura Adair withdrew her Request for Proposal for a beer garden at Village Park in Thiensville as the first agenda item at Monday night's Committee of the Whole meeting.
"I wish it would have worked," Adair said, earlier in a phone interview. "We (the community) have to focus on the kids (teenagers) and keep them occupied. I didn't want to call it a beer garden."
Adair filled out a 16-page proposal, listed Community Concessions to serve at the venue, submitted suggested foods and beverages with pricing and included three letters of recommendation.
"Suddenly she withdrew it, 24 hours after it became public," Trustee David Lange said.
Monday's Meeting of the Whole was prepared to discuss her proposal at length.
After further review of her proposal to the village, Adair said she would have to be covered with "liability insurance that reached nearly $1 million" because the park is located on the river. "It wouldn't be affordable for only 13 weeks, weather permitting," she added.
Village President Van Mobley called Adair a day after her withdrawal.
"I asked her if there was any information she wanted to share with me about why she withdrew it," Mobley said.
According to Mobley, she said, "No."
Thiensville has tried twice in the past two years to establish a beer garden at Village Park, however, for the summer of 2014 there will be "no beer garden," Mobley said.
- Republican primary for Ozaukee County Treasurer sees two political newcomers facing off
- 2016-17 Mequon-Thiensville School District budget passes unanimously
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, July 28, 2016
- Pitbull attack in Mequon leaves rare breed dog near death (3)
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, July 21, 2016
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, July 14, 2016
- Mequon girl going to Japan with Trinity Irish Dancers to give free show in earthquake-affected area
- Mequon residents will be Gathering at the Green July 15 and 16
- Cheel-a-bration bringing cheer to Thiensville July 16
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, July 7, 2016