Mequon - Concordia University will build a five-story, 274-bed dormitory building in 2013.
The planning commission unanimously approved the site and building design Monday. Mayor and planning commission chairperson Curt Gielow recused himself since he works at the university.
The site plan places the new dormitory in the open space between Coburg and Augsburg halls on the east side of campus, closed in from all sides by the surround buildings except for an opening on the northeast corner.
"There's very little visibility from the public view," Mequon Assistant Director of Community Development Jac Zader said. "It's another big improvement to the Concordia campus, and we approve."
Concordia Senior Vice-President Duane Hilgendorf told commissioners that the new residence is intended to house students who currently live off-campus and accommodate a projected growth in students, as well as eventually replace some of the university's older housing.
"This is a long-term plan to rid ourselves of some inferior housing on campus," said Hilgendorf.
He said the university plans to eventually raze two two-story residence halls in use today.
"We think (the new dormitory) is a unique site," said Clifford Mayer of Mayer Helminiak Architects. "It should serve the students and the university well."
Hilgendorf said construction should take between 10 to 12 months and should conclude in late 2013.
- Republican primary for Ozaukee County Treasurer sees two political newcomers facing off
- 2016-17 Mequon-Thiensville School District budget passes unanimously
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, July 28, 2016
- Pitbull attack in Mequon leaves rare breed dog near death (3)
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, July 21, 2016
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, July 14, 2016
- Mequon girl going to Japan with Trinity Irish Dancers to give free show in earthquake-affected area
- Mequon residents will be Gathering at the Green July 15 and 16
- Cheel-a-bration bringing cheer to Thiensville July 16
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, July 7, 2016