Dunkin Donuts will be the first tenant in the new retail building under construction adjacent to PNC Bank. The restaurant will occupy the east end of the building at the corner of Silver Spring Drive and Bay Ridge Avenue.
John Clark is the vice president of operations for the Milwaukee Coffee Brewing Co., which owns the franchise for Dunkin Donuts in this area. Clark said the village's Dunkin Donuts will have upscale finishes and signals the re-entry of the restaurant into the Milwaukee market. His group opened a Dunkin Donuts in Menomonee Falls earlier this year.
Two other Dunkin Donuts in the Milwaukee area are not part of this franchise, Clark said.
Some residents who live on Bay Ridge Avenue raised concerns, citing congestion during the early morning hours, the prime service time for Dunkin Donuts and also the drop off time for Dominican High School and the addition of another coffee business to those already in the community. Some felt the fast food reputation of the restaurant would be a better fit for Port Washington Road, but Clark said the restaurant wants to focus on coffee and offers a menu that has heart-healthy choices.
The restaurant use is allowed in that location under the village code, according to Assistant Manager Matt Schuenke.
The Plan Commission approved the plan, which includes indoor seating for 21 and outdoor patio seating for 16. In order to come into conformance with the village parking requirements, Brian Randall, an attorney representing the franchise, said three seats would be eliminated. The Architectural Review Board must approve the sign for the business, but Randall said the sign will meet village code requirements.
The building is currently under construction and Clark said he was not able to predict when the restaurant would open.
- Republican primary for Ozaukee County Treasurer sees two political newcomers facing off
- 2016-17 Mequon-Thiensville School District budget passes unanimously
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, July 28, 2016
- Pitbull attack in Mequon leaves rare breed dog near death (3)
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, July 21, 2016
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, July 14, 2016
- Mequon girl going to Japan with Trinity Irish Dancers to give free show in earthquake-affected area
- Mequon residents will be Gathering at the Green July 15 and 16
- Cheel-a-bration bringing cheer to Thiensville July 16
- Mequon-Thiensville Police Reports, July 7, 2016